Comic artist Simone Di Meo has done an impressive cover art for Batman #125.
Shown in the DC Comics July 2022 solicitations, the artwork depicts a massive swarm of bats flying over the Gotham City skyline, with the Dark Knight gliding among them to the bottom left of the room. Di Meo has a very distinct style that makes both its interior and cover art easily identifiable to the reader. In the past, the artist illustrated covers for series like robin and Future State: Gotham while bringing its style to the interiors of titles like Future State: Harley Quinn and dc the vampire slayer.
- Written by CHIP ZDARSKY
- Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
- Backup artwork by BELÉN ORTEGA
- Variant covers by JIM LEE, SCOTT WILLIAMS, GABRIELE DELL’OTTO, INHYUK LEE and FRANCESCO MATTINA
- Cover variant acetate by SIMONE DI MEO A
- 1:25 wraparound variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
- Variant cover 1:50 by JOCK
- Variant cover 1:125 by ALEX GARNER
- 1:250 variant cover by CHIP ZDARSKY
- Variant cover 1:500 by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
- $5.99 USD | 48 pages | Variant US$6.99 (card stock)
- ON SALE 05/07/22
- Superstar writer Chip Zdarsky joins legendary artist Jorge Jimenez to define a new era in Batman!
- Bruce Wayne stands at a crossroads, haunted by dreams of a dark future, as Gotham City’s billionaires are horribly murdered. With the discovery of the involvement of a nemesis and an unfolding tragedy, the Dark Knight’s nightmares are just beginning.
- “Failsafe” starts here.
- And in the save, it’s chaos in Gotham as the underworld fights for one of its crown jewels…and Selina Kyle is caught in the middle. Can she stop the bloodshed and maybe even earn some money in the process?
It is unclear if Di Meo will create more covers for the Batman title at that time. A few artists, such as Francesco Mattina and Jorge Molina, have contributed many variant covers to the series in recent years. Before Molina draws Batman for the “Abyss” arc written by Joshua Williamson, he created a series of variant covers for the series’ “Fear State” event. This story was written by former Batman scribe James Tynion IV with art by Jorge Jiménez, and served as Tynion’s final story arc before retiring from DC to focus on more creator-owned books. For a time after Tynion’s departure, Jiménez did not work on the series.
However, Jiménez is not done with Batman Again. Williamson and Molina have been the main creative team on the ongoing series for only a handful of issues, and the reins will be handed over to Jiménez for art in July 2022. Jiménez has illustrated two Batman events (“Fear State” and “Joker War”) and other arcs before his title hiatus, but now he will be working alongside daredevil writer Chip Zdarsky as part of the book’s main creative team.
For the couple’s first story arc beginning with Batman #125, Bruce Wayne will be introduced to his own Doomsday, Failsafe. Zdarsky previously compared the new villain to one of Superman’s toughest foes, saying, “Failsafe is his Doomsday. When I started plotting the story, I was really excited to know where he could take the title.” The writer also promised that Batman would be challenged “mentally, physically and in terms of relationships”.
Featuring Di Meo’s stunning cover variant, written courtesy of Zdarsky and interior art Jiménez, Batman #125 is slated for release on July 5 from DC Comics. Colors and lettering will be done by Tomeu Morey and Clayton Cowles, respectively, with other variant covers contributed by Scott Williams, Alex Garner, Mattina, Gabriele Dell’Otto, Jock and In-Hyuk Lee.
KEEP READING: Barbara Gordon’s Batman Beyond Fate Proves the Flaw in the Dark Knight’s Legacy
Source: DC Comics
The Worst Office Couples, Ranked
About the Author